Zookeeper’s Wife – Tour of the Original Zabinskis’ Villa
Other Jewish History and Heritage Tours
- Basic Jewish History and the Warsaw Ghetto Tour
- Jewish Cemetery at Okopowa Street
- The Ringelblum Archive: Tour in the Jewish Historical Institute
- Daily Life in the Warsaw Ghetto – an Expert-level Tour
- Polin Museum of the History of Polish Jews
- Zookeeper’s Wife – Tour of the Original Zabinskis’ Villa
Former home of the Żabińskis, guardians of the Warsaw Zoo during the Second World War. Their story was turned into the book and then movie “Zookeeper’s Wife” starring Jessica Chastain.
We will tour the zoo grounds and the same rooms where Jan and Antonina Żabiński sheltered Jews smuggled from the Warsaw ghetto. Not much has changed inside since the end of the war.
We will walk down to the basement, where the hideout was located. You can still see there an underground tunnel through which they could escape to an abandoned pheasant enclosure.
It is estimated that Jan and Antonina Żabiński saved more than one hundred people whose life was in danger – mostly activists of the Polish underground and Jews. They were awarded with the medal of the Righteous among the Nations.
You can combine this tour with:
How it works?
at a place convenient to you: your hotel, airport, train station etc.
Entrance fee 50 złoty per person
If you like this tour, just drop me a message with your preferred date and time. Let me also know where are you staying in Warsaw and how many of you are coming